Saturday, September 4, 2010

I ... love vegetables?

I signed us up for a farm-share like program about a month ago (at washingtonsgreengrocer.com) , and so far it's been smooth sailing. I do, however, have a major problem with not eating the produce as is and instead succumbing to my raging need to make stuff unhealthier than it is in its natural form. Obviously my dream of becoming a natural veggie and fruit-loving hippie didn't come true the moment I signed us up for this, which isn't what I was anticipating.

Having said that, there's no getting around the fact that I've got a crapload of zucchini staring me in the face and no desire to sit and eat raw or healthily-cooked pieces of said zucchini. Last time this happened I found a recipe for bread, but it was less than impressive (to me. My brother ate it all in two days, I think, and it made a LOT of bread/muffins). We also have plums, which I know my parents used to eat by the bushelful - this didn't rub off on me as a child, and now I view this fruit with a trepidation often reserved for something like an unfamiliar reptile (ie, a poisonous snake that will chase us and kill us all) in the wild.

I'm so glad we signed up for this one and not a legit farm share, though, because we have the option to choose when we get the deliveries and therefore not get buried under a pile of super-healthy food (a girl can only take so much, for real). We're able to substitute items in one week's list for other items in the list, which has let me avoid confronting my distaste for all things green pepper and mushroom related.

Loosely tying this into the theme of the blog, it's about as technological as a farm share can get, and the fact that we can shoot the owners/deliverers emails about what we've gotten makes my life a BAJILLION times easier. In fact, the zucchini in this week's order was originally left out, but I shot the owner an email and it was delivered the next day. The original omission is probably why they gave us so very, very much zucchini on Friday, so long story short, they rule.

Also, zucchini recipes needed. Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. I have a good recipe for lasagna subbing mandolined zucchini for pasta. you can add the requisite obscene amounts of cheese. inquire more in interested...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! I remember you talking about this, and I just forgot because I'm a dunce. Totally send me this magical recipe, please ...

    ReplyDelete